Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Three years ago & now


Yesterday as I was sitting watching the presentations from my students I began to think about where we were 3 years ago. We were living in Ft. Lee, VA, and I had just stopped working on the 28th. On the 31st, which was a Friday, I had been to BB&T to get the payoff on my car and then to Ukrops or Ukraps as some called it to look at cakes for the impending birth of our daughter (which much to my dismay I had found out it was a girl-I wanted to be surprised the day before) and they had a cafe for lunch. I remember they had CNN on and some postal worker had gotten car jacked. I remember sitting there eating my reuban pannini sandwich and a piece of cake (the day old stuff they were ready to junk from the bakery) and wondering how much longer before the little one appeared on the scene. She wasn't due until the end of the month and they had tried to move her due date back. They also were increasingly concerned about the fact her heart wasn't doing what it was supposed to and I figured by Tuesday (when my next appointment was scheduled) I was probably going to be induced as they finally decided there were some "problems". On the 1st I woke up feeling funny and I spoke with my mother about their upcoming trip on the 19th (baby's due date) and the fact that they should soon be hearing the boom from the shuttle Columbia (they live in FL and could always here it and sometimes see the shuttle when they returned and took off). It never happened as we now know because it exploded over TX. It was a sad day but Michael seemed to shrug it off. We went to an antique fair in Richmond and then to Pizza Uno. I was starving. I ate most of the appitizers we had plus two big pieces of pepperoni pizza. Ummm, I can almost taste it--funny cravings from the mainland again. Then at about 11:00 while watching the news I got a funny feeling and low and behold I was in labor with the little Princess. I was up all night with contractions while Michael slept in the other room.
I just spoke with Michael a bit ago. I really will miss him being able to call once he gets to Iraq. I am thinking about where we are at now and wonder where we will be at. Michael will be just about ready to retire (if he gets out at 20). MC will be almost 6 and JPM will be 4. I will be almost 45 but given the alternative I would rather be above ground then below it.
I really think Michael is frustrated with this whole deployment. Most of what they are training for they could have done out here but then I guess what fun would that be-sarcasm here. Today JPM is carrying his Halloween pumpkin around and calling for Daddy. I try to explain that Daddy is at work but he doesn't really buy it.
I know that Michael is sad he will miss the little miss' birthday. I guess we've been lucky in that this will be the first one he misses and she is going to be 3. I know some families out here have missed two Christmas' in a row. I just want to PCS out of here but that won't happen until next year. I know Michael had wanted to try and get a position at West Point. That will be impossible as he won't have his Masters degree until well after he returns. I don't think he'll be able to get a chance to take the two classes he's lacking while in Iraq. It would be nice if he could finish but he isn't holding out much hope of that happening until he returns. While there are good things about possibly going to West Point the housing up there is out of control. I keep looking forward to when he returns and what we'll be doing rather than dwelling on the fact that he's going to be gone for an indeterminate period of time. I really miss him and the kids do too. I know he misses us but is so busy between finishing the class he's in and the BS going on in TX.
I am posting a picture of Daddy and his little princess from when we first came out here. I know he wouldn't trade his little princess or prince for anything in the world. I miss our little family being together and know he does too.

No comments: